Financing Options are Available!

Learn More

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

As we head into the coldest part of the winter and heat our homes against the bitter cold outside, safety is paramount. Having an early warning is important. Install carbon monoxide alarms outside each sleeping area, inside each bedroom and on every level of the home, including the basement.

What is Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odourless gas. Carbon monoxide is lighter than air and can move freely throughout your home at any time of the year. However, the risk is greatest in winter months because most of our homes are heated fuels like oil gas or wood-burning fireplaces. Because you can’t see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill you before you know it’s there. Exposure to lower levels over time can make you sick.

Easy Ways to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Install CO Detectors:

Your home should have at least one carbon monoxide detector on each floor. If you have a battery-operated detector, change the batteries every 6 months. A good rule of thumb is to do this in the spring and fall when we change our clocks.

Equipment Installation:

Have a licensed contractor install fuel-burning appliances: Only a licensed contractor can safely install a fuel-burning appliance and ensure they have the proper ventilation they need to work safely and efficiently.

Preventative Maintenance:

Fuel-burning appliances in your home need to be inspected at minimum annually, or even semi-annually to ensure they’re working properly. Spotting an appliance failure isn’t always easy but a licensed contractor knows what to look for.

Other safety tips to keep in mind:

Generators, barbecues and fuel-powered tools are for outside use only! Don’t keep cars idling in the garage, use your cooking range’s exhaust fans every time you cook – and crack a window if possible for additional ventilation – and if you have to smoke be sure to do it outside and away from the house.

Symptoms of CO poisoning:

Headache, Shortness of breath, Fatigue, Dizziness, Nausea

Higher levels of CO poisoning can also cause:

Vomiting,  Loss of consciousness, Hallucinations, Coma, Death

If your CO monitor goes off, leave your home immediately, and move to fresh air, once outside call 9-1-1.

DO NOT try to locate the source of the leak yourself, and only return to your home once the problem has been fixed by a professional.

Why Work with Fox Plumbing Heating Cooling Electrical

Fox Plumbing Heating Cooling Electrical takes great pride in being a name that Vernon, Kamloops and surrounding Communities can depend on. In our 25 years of experience, we have successfully resolved various heating and cooling problems. There is no task too challenging for us!


Skip to content